Ideas for New Abilities

Slaking
Okay, so there are always new Abilities released every generation since Gen 3, so what can we expect in Gen 6? Here are a few ideas I thought of, some of them are inspired by other sources:

Magnet Force: All Steel-type combatants (except the owner of this Ability) are unable to fly or levitate. (a great way to trap Pokemon like Skarmory or Metagross on the ground so you can knock them out with Ground-type attacks.)

Redirection: Electric-type moves will not hit the owner of this Ability. In a battle with multiple combatants, the Electric-type attack will instead hit a random combatant (this ability should probably be Hidden and only owned by a "robotic" Pokemon like Magnezone or Klinklang)

Terra Shield: The owner of this Ability will not be harmed by Earthquake or Magnitude if it uses Dig.

Slimy Skin: The owner of this Ability cannot be hurt by moves like Bind, Constrict, Wrap, Crush Grip, Grass Knot, etc.

Dizzy Power: Attack power is increased if the owner of this Ability becomes Confused (owner will not receive increased damage if it hurts itself; Spinda would likely have this Ability)

Pollen Coat: The owner will become the sole target of all Bug-type moves (in the open, the likelihood of encountering Bug-type Pokemon increases)

Ally Guard: The owner of this Ability will take damage for an ally that has less than half its HP remaining (this idea I borrowed from Final Fantasy, the Knight/Paladin's Cover ability)

Materialize: Ghost-type moves can hit Fighting and Normal-type targets (another Hidden Ability)

Stonesmith: The owner's Defense will increase if it gets hit by Rock-type moves

Boiling Point: The power of the owner's moves will increase if it gets burned (likely to be owned by Water-types)

Malware: If the opponent has the Ability Download, they will instantly receive a random Status condition (take THAT, Porygon family and Genesect!)

Heavy Jaws (or Sharp Fangs): the power of biting moves is increased (a biting alternative to Iron Fist)

Tailmaster: The power of tail-related attacks is increased (again, an alternative to Iron Fist for moves like Iron Tail, Slam, Aqua Tail, Poison Tail, etc.)

Earth Bond: The owner of this Ability cannot be taken off the ground (prevents being forced to levitate by Gravity or attacked by Sky Drop)

Remembrance (or Memory Guard): The owner of this Ability cannot be consecutively attacked by the same move (stops those pesky enemies from using strong moves twice in a row)

Blade Temper: the power of cutting moves increases if the owner is hurt by a Fire-type move (powers up attacks like Metal Claw, Leaf Blade, Slash, Night Slash, Psycho Cut, Air Slash, etc.

Power Nap: If the owner gets put to sleep by any means other than Rest, the owner's HP is filled and is cured of any Status condition (probably owned by those lazy-ass overweight Pokemon like Snorlax, Ursaring, and Slaking, who I actually like)

Cure Amplification: The effects of held items that restore HP are increased (items like the Shell Bell and Leftover, as well as HP-restoring Berries, will restore more HP.)

Obstinate: The owner of this Ability cannot be forced out of battle (moves like Whirlwind, Roar, Circle Throw, and Dragon Tail may do damage, but they can't force your Pokemon to exit battle)

Heavy Barbs: Every time an opponent attacks the owner physically, the opponent's Speed will be decreased

Strong Polarity: Steel-type Pokemon, including the owner of this Ability, are unable to avoid attacks

Accumulation: The owner of this Ability will become the sole target for all Ice-type moves, which will also increase its Defense (an ability for Pokemon like Vanilluxe and Froslass)

Mental Link: If the opponent has the Ability Pressure, the opponent will also be affected (the owner of the Pressure ability will also use 2 PP for every 1 attack/move. Beat that, Weavile and Legendaries with Pressure!)

Sacred Body: The owner of this Ability cannot be affected by Possession (in another post, I talk about this possible move in New TM and other learnable moves; be sure to check it out!)

Emulation: If the opponent uses a Stat-increasing move, the owner of this Ability will also increase the same Stat(s) (the owner of this Ability doesn't need to know the same move, either!)

Aversion (or Dark Body): Moves that ensure the next attack will have no effect (moves like Lock On and Mind Reader are useless, as are moves like Odor Sleuth, Foresight, and Miracle Eye)

Body Mold: If the owner of this Ability is hit by a Super Effective move, all further moves of the same type now become neutrally effective (to be owned by Pokemon with irregular or unstable bodies, or Pokemon who are made of amorphous substances, like water or gel)

Swift Flight: The owner is immune to moves that can hit it while it is in the air (if the owner uses Fly or Bounce, it can't be hit by Thunder or Sky Uppercut)

Sound Boost: The power and accuracy of sound-based moves (e.g. Hyper Voice, Echoed Voice, Sing, Grasswhistle, Uproar, etc.) is increased upon every use.

Skilled Feet: The power and/or effects of kicking and/or foot-related attacks/moves is increased (attacks like Double Kick, Blaze Kick, Hi Jump Kick, etc., and moves like Teeter Dance, Quiver Dance, Dragon Dance, etc.)

Night Energy: The owner's power, defense, speed, and accuracy are increased at night (note: owners of this ability will not be adversely affected if active at any time other than at night; this ability has nothing to do with being inside a cave or building, the effect is active anywhere)

Toxic Aura: If an opponent uses an HP-absorbing, move, the opponent will become Poisoned (moves like Leech Seed, Absorb, Leech Life, etc.)

Antitheft: If the owner's held item is stolen or switched, the held item is destroyed and the opponent takes damage (useful for enemies that use Thief, Covet, or Trick.)

Phobia: If the owner of this Ability is knocked out by a certain type of move and is restored, the owner then becomes weak against that same type of move for the remainder of the battle (e.g. the owner is knocked out by Ice Beam, even if Ice Beam is not very effective, owner is Revived, now Ice-type moves are Super Effective)

Nimble: Moves that cannot miss have a decreased chance of hitting the owner of this Ability (moves like Aerial Ace, Magnet Bomb, and Shock Wave are no longer no-miss moves)

Rebuke: The owner of this Ability cannot be affected by moves that limit its own moves (Torment and Taunt and/or any related moves have no effect)

Humility: The moves Encore, Swagger, and Flatter have no effect

Lifeline: If the owner is revived or healed by another ally, the fallen ally will be fully revived as well (Pokemon A uses Healing Wish/Lunar Dance on Pokemon B, which has the ability Lifeline, Pokemon A will be fully revived, too!)

Crystal Sight: The owner's accuracy increases whenever an opponent's evasion increases (probably best for Sableye)

Reflect Armor: The owner will instantly use Light Screen, Reflect, Barrier, and all related moves if the opponent does (the owner does not need to know these moves for the ability to take effect.)

Absorb Swap: Moves like Absorb, Leech Life, Drain Punch, etc. that are aimed at the owner of this Ability will instead heal the target's HP and do damage to the opponent

These are just a few I was able to scrounge up. Let me know if you all have ideas (improvements on names, improvements on effects, who should know these abilities, should these be hidden abilities or not, even critique good or bad). Got your own ideas, post 'em; I'd like to see some other than mine!

Slaking is loafing around... and enjoying every minute of it...

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

Dgolddc
O_O   so many words

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

how about another weather ability like drought  sand stream  snow warning  and drizzle what if theres one for wind

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

Slaking
Okay, I can't think of any good ones, but I'll try:

Gale Force: The owner of this Ability will summon fierce winds upon entering battle

and while we're on the subject, here's a good way to employ this weather:
Windy weather: all Pokemon with the exception of Flying-type Pokemon on the battlefield will be buffeted by strong winds. Should lead to a new form for Castform, as well as a new Flying-type effect for Weather Ball.

Also, Gamefreak should have really considered naming the Flying type Wind or Air type, because last time I checked, not all "Flying-type" Pokemon could learn how to actually fly.

Or, here's another one:

Miasma: A blanket of poisonous fog covers the battlefield when the owner of this Ability enters battle.

Poison Fog "weather": a lot like Sandstorm areas, but only Poison-type Pokemon are unaffected, also gives a Poison effect to Weather Ball.

Here's another one:

Magnetic field area: when encountering Pokemon here, all Steel-type Pokemon are unable to fly or levitate; probably give an Electric effect to Weather Ball or other area-influenced attack

All I can really come up with for now...
Slaking is loafing around... and enjoying every minute of it...

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

Dgolddc
steel type should be unaffected by poison fog

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

Terrible abilities TC you must be a forever alone.

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

Gary Oak
WORD WALL ACTIVATE!

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

Slaking
Yeah, I pretty much suck at inventing abilities (all the good ones are taken); I hope I was better at making up

new attacks, though. And no, I'm not a forever alone!... whatever that means. But anyways, thanks for the

critique, I guess we're not all good at coming up with new stuff. Ah well, all we can do is keep guessing

and hope that some good abilities and attacks/moves will be invented.

p.s. I'll use double-spacing and shorter sentences so you'll all stop getting mad at the text for being too much.
Slaking is loafing around... and enjoying every minute of it...

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

I'm just fooling around man, we'll know by time what abilities we have...

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

Slaking
True that. But, seriously guys, don't you all think that the type Flying should be called Wind or Air type? I

mean, look at some of the Flying-type Pokemon we already have: some of them can't even learn how to fly,

like Jumpluff's evolutionary family: sure, they can use Bounce, but it doesn't make sense to call them

Flying because they aren't actually flying; it makes more sense to call that type something that isn't

an action that can only be performed by Pokemon with wings. Also, I don't mean to be an anti-purist, but

in my opinion, I think they should have made Water and Ice moves under one category. But anyways, hoping

Gamefreak will give us a good generation this time around.
Slaking is loafing around... and enjoying every minute of it...

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

Eliphix
KeeperOfTheTriforce wrote
True that. But, seriously guys, don't you all think that the type Flying should be called Wind or Air type? I
mean, look at some of the Flying-type Pokemon we already have: some of them can't even learn how to fly,
like Jumpluff's evolutionary family: sure, they can use Bounce, but it doesn't make sense to call them
Flying because they aren't actually flying; it makes more sense to call that type something that isn't
an action that can only be performed by Pokemon with wings. Also, I don't mean to be an anti-purist, but
in my opinion, I think they should have made Water and Ice moves under one category. But anyways, hoping
Gamefreak will give us a good generation this time around.
One, please, stop double spacing all of your posts, especially since most of them are so long already.

Second, Flying type is what it is. They DO fly. The Hoppip family cannot learn the move Fly in the games, but in the anime and lore, they let the winds blow them around from place to place. While this is not self-generated flight, it is flight nonetheless. And looking through the list of Flying types, the only Pokemon I saw without the ability of flight is Gyarados (as far as I can tell). But, due to its origin story (Read about it here), it makes sense that it would be the Flying type.

Actually, you may have missed this, but Scyther can't "Fly" either (despite having wings and the fact that Doduo and Dudrio don't have wings and can learn fly).

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

Eliphix
While I do love that comic (a lot actually xD), you missed the point. While Scyther, like Hoppip, cannot learn Fly in the games, it does possess the ability of flight in the anime. In the episode Tracey Gets Bugged from Season 2, Scyther is seen being able to fly (or at least hover). You can see this here at just after 11:50.

If you're too lazy to watch there, this picture is proof enough of its flying capabilities in the anime.

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

Leafeon
Sound Boost should be re-named Reverberate, or Echo.

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

Ah, you posted that comic which I was around 3 years ago :P . The first Pokemon comic which I found hilarious and still find it amusing xD

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

Slaking
You know, you're pretty damn smart when it comes to this kind of stuff. Oh, and sorry about the long posts: I just have a lot to say. So yeah, I'll stop double-spacing and making my posts SO long; it helps when I get criticism cuz then I can get an idea of how to say stuff better. I bet you all think I sound too much like a college professor when I post, so I'll shorten my stuff. And thnx for the critique, Eliphix dude: apparently, there ARE others out there with as much knowledge about Pokemon as me.
Slaking is loafing around... and enjoying every minute of it...

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

kylesar
I believe it's WAY too late to change Flying to Wind or Air
I wanted Air Type from the get go, but now I'm too used to Flying Type to want to change it
The only TRUE Pokemon Master Bow before my Pokemon awesomeness

Re: Ideas for New Abilities

KeeperOfTheTriforce wrote
I write some pretty lengthy posts as well; I am not usually intimidated by lots of text. But I know there are others that might not take the time to read something that you put quite a bit of work into.

And I only got into it so much since I recently read about that Chinese mythology and knew I definitely had seen Scyther fly in the anime :P