Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

After watching some interesting videos, I've learned of an interesting theory about the reasoning for the Weaknesses the Psychic type has. Because of this, I think it'd be swell if we had a conversation on the reasonings behind why some types are super effective against others. Now, PLEASE avoid the obvious ones like "Fire melts ice" and "Water puts out fire". There's really nothing to discuss there, because it's hard fact. Stick more to "Why is Dragon super effective against Dragon" and the like.

Now, Psychic Pokemon show extraordinary mental ability, and this is seen as them being basically a "Mind" type. Now, the types that are super effective against Psychic are Bug, Dark, and Ghost. Bugs, Darkness, and Ghosts are very common fears in people; you could almost say they have a greater effect on the mind than most.

Eh? Discussion?

EDIT: Unless this is painfully obvious too, in which case someone tell me and put me out of my misery.

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

IGotzDaMastaPlan
Psychic weaknesses are... fears... OMG.
Mind=Blown

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

Gary Oak
Why Dragon types are weak against Ice types? I have no idea.

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

Eliphix
I think it's the same reason that Flying types are weak to Ice types. If their wings are frozen, then they can't fly. And most dragons have wings I guess.

Dragons are also reptiles. Reptiles are cold blooded, so with the introduction of extreme cold, I'm sure it's far from healthy for them.

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

what about normal and fighting normal is like just a human and fight is if some is beating a person up so it kind of makes sene

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

Gary Oak
I also don't know why Ghosts are weak against Ghosts. That doesn't even make sense.

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

Dgolddc
they are scared of them selfs or something

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

Well as far as my theory goes, most things can't touch ghosts, right? Or at least it's very difficult. However, it makes a lot of sense that ghosts have no problem touching other ghosts. So it does make a bit of sense.

bringing normal and fighting back in a normal person cant touch a ghost and some one cant fight a ghost

I'd say they were going for a separation of the "real" world and the spectral world with that one. The normal world (type) can't really affect the spectral realm, and vice versa.

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

Dgolddc
so what about steel and ice why is steel super efective to ice types

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

I never understood how rock is good against flying.

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

Dgolddc
you throw a rock at a bird they fall out of the sky and possibly breaks a wing

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

Lionhart
That would work just as well as throwing a steel ball at a bird, but steel isnt supereffective...

true but game freak doesnt want it to have to manny weaknesses like the ghost one cant catch a ghost on fire but in the game fire can hit ghost its because there cant be to manny weaknesses and resistance

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

Lionhart
That makes sense I guess haha

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

Eliphix
I'm pretty sure that they're basing it off of the common saying "Killing two bird with one stone".

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

what about grass and water how does grass affect water

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses

Eliphix
They needed to complete a loop?

Re: Typing Strengths and Weaknesses