Quantcast

Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Dgolddc
With Fire Red/Leaf Green and Heart Gold/Soul Silver being remakes of Red and Blue and Gold and Silver respectively, quite a few Pokemon fans seem to be interested in the idea of a Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire remake. But might it never happen? I think so, and here are some reasons why.

1. Backwards compatibility makes it Unnecessary

First and mostly importantly is this point. Put simply, the main reason Pokemon Red and Blue and Pokemon Gold and Silver were remade was because you couldn't trade anything from these games to the latest installments.

So to remake them meant not only could people who've not tried them go back and play the games, but they could carry their progress over to later titles and catch any legendary monsters you can't find in Ruby/Sapphire or Diamond/Pearl.

But this isn't relevant for Gen 3. You can trade stuff straight from Gen 3 to Gen 5, assuming you go in sequential order, so there's no need for a remake. And as for getting the Pokemon from Ruby and Sapphire in gen 4 or 5, that's no big deal either.

Why? Because here's everything the Gold and Silver remakes let you obtain without connecting to older titles:

    Ho-oh and Lugia
    The legendary beasts/dogs/cats
    Mewtwo
    The legendary birds from Kanto
    The weather trio (Grouden, Kyogre and Rayquaza)
    The gen 4 box art mascots (Dialga, Palkia and Girantina)
    Latias and Latios

And for the legendary Golems/Regi Trio? All obtainable in Pokemon Black and White 2. Same with the lake guardians.

Of course, that does leave Jirachi and Deoxys, but those are given out in wifi events now. There's no practical reason to have a gen 3 remake, since it doesn't solve anything or let you get any Pokemon you couldn't otherwise get easily.

2. Content and Pokemon from Gen 5 couldn't be logically included

Here's the second issue. Remember how easy it was to justify including things from later games in the remakes due to how all the games took place in different regions of a Pokemon equivalent to Japan? Well that’s not true of gen 5 or perhaps any generations released after that.

Which means including things from Unova in Hoenn would just seem illogical. How can a species (especially a non flying one) get from the equivalent of the United States to the equivalent of Japan? You might as well have Polar Bears show up in Mexico or Kangaroos in Japan.

Land based legendaries from Unova like the Musketeer Pokemon have no reason to show up in Hoenn or other ‘Japanese’ regions.

It just seems unlikely anything from the later gens could be included in the remake without it seeming strange (like these supposed ‘unique’ Unova Pokemon suddenly being native to Hoenn and Sinnoh), and there’d be no point in it all.

3. No Major Gameplay and Design Tweaks would be needed

Finally, there’s no gameplay or design related reasons to remake gen 3. What do I mean by gameplay or design related reasons? Well, look at the first two generations:

Generation 1 had a whole bunch of game breaking glitches that completely changed/ruined the metagame and anything related to it (ghosts were supposedly immune to psychic attacks instead of weak to them), two whole types didn’t exist yet, Psychic types were really overpowered due to a lack of ghosts and dark Pokemon, abilities didn’t exist and things like graphics and sound were really primitive to the point they might bother fans of newer games. So there was plenty to change in a remake, and plenty of things that were added on.

he games were rebalanced to make psychics like Mewtwo less overpowered.  Worked for Alakazam, although not really at all for Mewtwo.

For Heart Gold and Soul Silver, similar technical limitations applied and made the regions seem much smaller and more empty than later ones and yet more gameplay mechanics weren’t introduced yet. So the remake gave Nintendo a chance to make massive changes to the game structure and add tons of additional content.
Like this new Safari Zone in Johto!

But Ruby and Sapphire have far fewer things that could be fixed up or brought up to date. Sure they could try the physical and special attack split or the gen 5 level up system, but is there really a point now? And the major criticism level design wise was too much surfing and too much water, which short of Team Magma succeeding would be nearly impossible to logically fix in a remake.

There’s just less than needs to be fixed up and hence less reason for a remake to exist. And when you factor in content related issues and how backwards compatibility with these titles still exists today, it just seems like a fairly pointless endeavour that would take time and effort away from making new games

http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/nintendoarticles/why-a-pokemon-ruby-and-sapphire-remake-may-never-happen/

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Poix
Please stop crushing my dreams :(

Out of curiosity because I can never follow the postgame stories, how were kyogre and groudon relevant to the plot of HGSS?

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Gamefreak loves money, and they're gonna do whatever they can to get tons more and a R/S/E remake is just what they need to make more cash, a lot more.

thats true  but they can lose money if no one wants the game because they can get the same pokemon in the remake in any other game

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Dgolddc
also sorry the message wasso long

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

That article just seems to be made to scare people. There's no way we're not getting the remakes.

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Dgolddc
theres  a 96% chance we will get it but theres still that 4 %  game freak is unpredictible

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Gengar
:(

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Gamefreak will base their decision on this: what can make us more money, Gen 6 or R/S/E remakes? And whichever one they think will make more, is the one they're gonna do.

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Gengar
3 Years after a previous generation or 11 years to return to an old region, I think it's safe to say which would make more money.

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Lionhart
Gengar wrote
3 Years after a previous generation or 11 years to return to an old region, I think it's safe to say which would make more money.
I agree, the remakes would make more, but its up to gamefreak to decide. They'd be stupid not to come out with these remakes.

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Dgolddc
r/s remakes have a better chance cuz r/s was so long ago there are new kids who never played it and prob want to  and people who played r/s back then and still play pokemon will want it too

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Gengar
Well you've seen how much RS Remakes are in demand especially after B2W2, they would lose out on millions if they didn't recreate Hoenn is some way and I think Game Freak know that if we do.

yeah im sure they are watching stuff like this so that raises the chances

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Lionhart
Dgolddc wrote
yeah im sure they are watching stuff like this so that raises the chances
Attention game freak! You will be idiots if you dont do this since it's easy to make money and its a huge fan pleaser
Yours Truly
A Fan

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Gengar
It could actually be likely that they've typed in on a search engine "Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire Remakes" to see the results. Let's just hope they make the right move otherwise they're losing out.

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

you just called game freak idiots

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

Lionhart
Dgolddc wrote
you just called game freak idiots
I didnt mean it like that, I'm saying that they'll be dumb not to do the remakes, I'm sure lots of people agree with that haha

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

if you type it on google there are so many results for that people posting how much they want it what will happen if gamefreak does make a remake so hopefully they get smart and search it

Re: Why A Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remake May Never Happen

i agree